Saturday, May 15, 2010

Homeowners

Today was our first day working in our new house.  Our to-do list, though not completely overwhelming, is growing.   We're going to try to finish as much as we can before we move in at the end of the month.

Nella started working on a chalk masterpiece in the driveway.

We started ripping up the carpet in the back bedroom.  It was the only room in the house with carpet.  Nasty, hideous carpet that covered up a pretty decent wood floor.  Now, that floor will need some work, but we love wood floors so it'll be worth it.
 Hello, lovely wood floors!  It's so nice to see you!
 It gets a little shady there in the middle.  Sometimes when you check one item off the list you also add a few more.

 Meanwhile, Silas took a nap (in his room!) like a good little baby.

Uh, does anyone know how to properly dispose of old, janky carpet and padding?  For now it's just hanging out in our garage.  Classy.  See those old-timey red suitcases?  They were left in the garage by the previous owners.  I was hoping they were full of money.  They weren't.  Anyway, if you want 'em, they're yours!

Nella 'helped' by carrying around a sponge and some sidewalk chalk in this orange bucket. 
Break time!  She was worn out and filthy! 

The peonies (one of my favorites) in the front are blooming.  Since they only last for a couple weeks, I thought I'd snap a few pics so I can enjoy them for the rest of the season.  Aren't they just so lovely!?
Oh, that's not a peony.  That weirdo flower is giant allium.  It's pretty too, in its own weird way. 

4 comments:

Phyllis said...

Okay I might have to snatch up at least the small suitcase if no one beat me to it... As long as it opens and closes well enough for a little girl to open it. Let me know if Haley wants the set, and she can keep them together. I really love your home! What fun we'll have hanging out in it. And can I just say how happy I am that it's not in West Champaign?

Kahler Family said...

Hey Keli that flower is called a Star of Persia it's a Perennial. I have a book of perennials and other popular flowers and saw that one last week. Anyways, looks like you guys have a nice house with a lot of work to do. I was just telling my mom yesterday that no matter the year of the house it's always a fixer upper. We're working on painting still and figuring out our flooring/carpet issues. Good luck and I look forward to more photos!!!

Stephanie Trapp said...

Congrats on the new house! It looks so adorable and I love the hardwood floors. And the flowers...wow! I wish I had a green thumb like that.

Can't wait to see all the changes you guys make!

Unknown said...

I'll take the suitcases if no one else has claimed them!!! I have the perfect spot for them.