Thursday, February 10, 2011

Winter-Induced Cabin Fever and Randomness

We've been experiencing a bit of cabin-fever around here. Since late November we've had non-stop biting cold, snow, ice, more snow, and then Snowpocalypse 2011 (or Snowmageddon, SnowtoriousB.I.G., etc). Caleb had 2 snow days last week. The University even had a rare snow day, 4th one in 30 years or something crazy. I've managed to get our car stuck twice. Luckily, the Jeep handles wonderfully in the snow and I know Caleb has pulled several stuck vehicles out of giant mounds of icy snow. So while we haven't been total shut-ins, we have spent a lot of time cooped up in the house.

We're sooooooooooooooo bored. 
Is there an app for that? 

Nella enjoys the Super Why! app.

The kids have grown tired of most of their toys. I've lost count of how many times we've read If You Give a Cat a Cupcake. We've exhausted our craft basket. And I'll be totally honest, we've done a lot (an embarrassing amount) of Netflix-ing. The kids watch Blues Clues, Kipper, Shaun the Sheep (I love this one!), and Thomas & Friends. I've watched countless documentaries and episodes of Psych.

This afternoon I snapped this photo of Silas. He was entertaining himself so nicely that I wanted to document the occasion. Upon closer inspection, I realized that he was storing something curious in the seat of this ride on toy. I noticed some brightly colored objects but didn't think much of it.


A few minutes later I found this:
He must have visited the bathroom cabinet. Those are definitely pantiliners. Oh, Silas! The weirdest part? I let him carry on. He was having fun AND being quiet AND not destroying anything.



On a more productive note, I read Run Like a Mother. I've been running. That's a post for another day. I read the entire thing on Kindle for iPhone. Crazy, huh? But when I went to purchase the book on Amazon, I noticed that the Kindle edition was $0.00. Well, duh! Of course I'll download the thing for free right to my iPod using the Kindle for iPhone app. Who wouldn't?! (It was a temporary sale, it's full-price now). I enjoyed the book very much. It's witty and full of practical information for runners at any athletic level. The authors are veteran moms, runners, and regular writers for Runner's World and other fitness and women's interest magazines.


I'm currently reading The Kennedy Curse. It is fascinating!


How are you surviving the Winter? What have you been doing on your snow days?

3 comments:

Stephanie Trapp said...

Oooh, I'd love to hear what you think of the Kennedy book! I've always had a fascination with Jackie. If it's any good, I'd love to read it.

kimberly said...

We love Shaun the Sheep - and we don't have kids. Wallace & Gromit are also fabulous. :)

The Kiefers said...

Shaun the Sheep is a favorite in our household as well! Pretty sure we've watched every episode at least 7 or 8 times, and we all still think they're hilarious! :)