Saturday, January 8, 2011

Recent (Frugal) Projects

I've crossed a few items off of my 'gotta make this' list. I love when that happens! 

 First are some framed silhouettes of the kiddos. I've been wanting to make these for quite some time (ever since they first started floating around the crafty-decor blog scene) and I finally got around to it.  They were easier to make than I was expecting, but there was lots of tedious cutting. I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. I hung them by our front door.


I made some of my nephews to give to my sister. So Cute! See? They're not only easy to make, but pretty darn cheap too! Including the frames, this project cost less than $7.

Next is this wreath I made for Nella's room. The material is some of her old receiving blankets and baby clothes that I was going to donate to Goodwill. I saw this wreath and decided that the stack of blankets and clothes could make a cute and functional keepsake for her. I bought a wire wreath frame at Hobby Lobby and got to work cutting and tying the fabric.

It didn't turn out as cute as I was hoping, but she really loves it and thinks it's special and that's good enough for me! The total cost here was $1 (for the wreath frame).

And finally, a couple of weeks ago my sister helped me recover this little bench. My mom had this bench for years and she was going to throw it away. I rescued it from the trash pile. My sister brought over some sweet navy houndstooth fabric and helped me give it a little upgrade.
  I was really tempted to paint the legs a glossy red. But, the temps were too cold for spray paint and I do appreciate a nice, worn wood. So, for the time being, they're au natural. Since the bench was from my parent's trash pile and the fabric was from my sister's stash, the total cost here was $0!  


4 comments:

Courtney said...

You are a crafty little rockstar! The silhouettes melted my heart.

Stephanie Trapp said...

Love, love, love! Everything turned out so adorable. I especially love the silhouettes. I've been wanting to do some of my kiddos and seeing how beautiful yours turned out makes me want to just bite the bullet and make them!

kimberly said...

Oh, I just love the silhouettes! I see some in my future.... just perhaps when there are kids around. Everything looks great!

Amy said...

You made some cute stuff! I did the silhouettes last year around this time, but I didn't do the details like you did. I love the eyelashes. I like your wreath idea too. Makes me start thinking. . . :-)